God, in His great kindness and wisdom, created a beautiful world for us that contains everything we need. He gave us plants whose fruits are our food and whose leaves are our medicine. (Ezekiel 47:12) This blog explores my experiences learning to use herbs and essential oils for my family's health. I am a mom and an independent distributor of Young Living Essential Oils.

Monday, March 9, 2015

DIY Eyelash Serum



I find myself staring at people's eyelashes lately.

I have always had the shortest, stubbiest eyelashes!

I never really paid much attention to various beauty products for things like lengthening your eyelashes, but since I started learning about essential oils, and had success with my dry scalp problem, I began to wonder if maybe I could do something about my short eyelashes.

I did research all over the net on natural ingredients good for your skin and hair, and possible causes for short, thin lashes. The take away from this for me was that I finally thought, "Maybe there is something I can actually do to help my short, thin lashes!"

Some of the things I discovered that were bad for your lashes are: using old mascara and not sufficiently cleaning off your make-up at night, or sleeping in your makeup. This is obviously bad for your eyes, and in addition, if you leave makeup residue on your eyelashes you will encourage the overgrowth of your natural eye mites that live on your lashes (yes, gross!) called the Demodex mite. Everyone has these mites, but if they proliferate they can causes damage to your eyelashes.

What you need to know is that keeping your eyelashes clean, changing out your mascara often (every 6 months) and not sleeping in your makeup can keep Demodex down to normal levels. In addition you should add a few drops of Lavender Essential oil to your mascara. It is thought that it will keep your mascara germ and mite free, and it further conditions your lashes.

What I did:

I threw out all my old mascara and eyeliners and bought new organic ones. I added two drops of lavender essential oil to my new mascara (smells great!) I researched and tried several DIY eyelash serums I found on the internet. After trying several versons, this is the verson that I felt was easiest to make and use - and I have been having good results! I actually am getting longer lashes!!

No kidding! I keep going up to my husband and daughter and making them look at my eyelashes, and they agree - they are getting thicker and longer!

This super simple inexpensive recipe only has three ingredients:

2 parts Vitamin E oil (Any health food store)
1 part Organic Castor oil (Ditto health food store)
A few drops Lavender Essential oil (I only use Young Living Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils)

All three of these are great for your hair and skin. The vitamin E helps lengthen your lashes and the castor oil helps thicken them. Lavender essential oil has a long history of use for beautifying your skin and hair, in addition, it will act as a natural preservative for your serum (down with mites!)

You can simply mix these ingredients up and store them in a small glass bottle, or you can buy an empty mascara tube (Amazon) and poor your ingredients into that. I opted for the mascara tube as it makes application to your lashes less messy.

There is no need for careful measurements. Simply eyeball it that you are getting about twice as much vitamin E as Castor oil, then add your lavender oil.

Apply to clean lashes before going to bed at night.

I hope you try this easy recipe and that you see the great results I am getting too!

I would love to hear from you if you have any questions! Let me know if this works for you, or if you have any experiences with essential oils you would like to share.





To get started buying essential oils at wholesale prices, please click on the small lavender picture at the top right of the page. To become a distributor simply purchase one of the starter kits. The Premium Starter Kit is the best value and includes 11 bottles of essential oils, essential oil samples, an ultrasonic diffuser for aromatherapy (worth $100!), literature that explains all about the programs at Young Living, and more.  As a distributor you will be able to purchase your oils at wholesale prices, with no selling required, and no monthly quotas. In addition there are programs that allow you to earn free oils every month!

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just a mom who loves taking care of my family.  This blog contains suggestions for help with things moms have always treated at home - indigestion, colds, stomachache, chapped skin, hair care and the like- using essential oils and herbs. This information is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease. Please consult a qualified holistic health care practitioner for any medical needs you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment